So we started Merlin on Omeprazole, ran out of that and put him on ranitidine until the compounded omeprazole/ranitidine powder arrives. I wanted to see if he was more comfortable in his body as a result of the ulcer treatments. He was happy to go and may have been a little more relaxed.
I rode Howdy and Lexie before working with Merlin and Merlin was making as many cute “pick me!” faces as he could while I did so. So when it came his turn, he was ready to go for sure. I groomed him and fed the requisite amount of cookies and tacked him up.
He was a little on his toes again, but came around nicely by the end.
I groomed him and put the surcingle on and attached the balancing rein loosely. He started out a little on his toes, but after he got over that, I put the reins where he would have to interact with them, and he was great about it. At the end he was trotting and cantering in balance and very relaxed. Yay.
If a picture is worth a thousand words, a video is worth a bunch more:
Lovely day, so after grooming and tacking, I worked him in the arena with the curtains open. That doesn’t happen every day in December! I had brought some more jumps into the arena and he thought he needed to look at those, but he didn’t stare to long and just got to work.
I put him in a balancing rein today, which goes from the girth by the elbow, through the bit and up to the saddle. After warm up, I attached them and he responded quite well. A few times he wanted to stop and push against them by raising his head, but they were loose enough that he really didn’t have to be in an uncomfortable position, just yield to the rein, which he figured out pretty quickly. After the lunging, I lead him over a small cross rail and he walked right over it without knocking it down. Clever boy!